Sunday, May 4, 2008

6.2 With Rick

Went down to The Woodlands this morning for a 10K.  Nope, not a race.  Fellow 7 Hiller Rick Cook had planned a 100K training run in preparation for the Western States 100 that he is running in June.  His run consisted of 10 10K out-and-backs, and various people were running with him to help break up the monotony.  

My plan was to run the first 6 a.m. leg, so that I would be back in time for church, and then go back for one or two legs at the end of the run.  Rick and his friend John (a fellow ultra-runner who was planning on doing the whole 100K with Rick), along with Karen, Holden and myself headed out right at 6.  

What a great way to start out a Sunday!  Watching the sun come up on beautiful cool morning, while running 6.2 miles at a very comfortable 10 min per mile pace with great company.  I'm not sure that can be topped.  Well, maybe one way, but I won't get into that on here.  

I was just about to head back down to TW when I got a call from Karen that Rick and John had decided to call it quits 43 miles into the run.  No more trips to The Woodlands for me today.  Probably a good thing 'cause JP was being an a** about it anyway.

Congrats to Rick for a great 43 mile run!  A 62 mile run on those concrete trails in The Woodlands is unfathomable to this Huntsville Sate Park runner!  My feet hurt just thinking about it!  Best of luck at Western States!

3 comments:

equarles said...

Nice of you guys to run with him. so did you get on the bike today?

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

sounds like fun! I'm a fan of the sunrise runs myself.

WalkSports.com said...

I was looking forward to running a loop with you (and Bill riding the bike .. yes, he should have been running) so I could say that we had three newsletter editors going at the same time.

If Quarles had come down, we could have made it three current and a former newspaper editor ... ;)