Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Signed Up For My 1st Triathlon

I have been wanting to attempt a triathlon for about two years, but have always been a little scared.  Thanks to tons of great advice and a little push from a friend who's a veteran triathlete, I bit the bullet, and signed up for the Silverlake Sprint Triathlon in Pearland on May 18th.

I'm not really sure I'm ready, but I'm just going to go for it.  I know I can run, I've gotten pretty comfortable on my bike, and I used to be a strong swimmer.  I haven't done any distance swimming in a long time though.  I'm going to the HKC later today and see where I stand.  I feel pretty confident I can swim a measly 400 meters solidly by May 18th if I start working on it now.

Thanks for all your help, Jeremy!  If anyone else has any advice to offer, I'm accepting donations. :)  

---

Sunday (Hannah's 7th Birthday!) I ran 8 miles on the trails behind my house.  It seemed like a lot farther because of all the sand.  I had forgotten how sandy those trails get when it's really dry.  I felt like I was running in place.  Very frustrating.

Monday I didn't do anything, well I didn't do anything that had anything to do with running, biking or swimming.  I enjoyed the day off.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Awesome! Silverlake is a great race for your first tri. The lake is fairly clean, the bike course is short (though it does have a lot of turns), and the run is through a neighborhood.

I'm signed up for that one as well so I'll see you there!

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!!

Tiggs said...

sweet! I'll be at silverlake too :)