Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Getting Ready For Tri #2

I met up with Cassie last Sunday for some open water swimming practice.  She took me to a lake in Manvel where they have some buoys set up for triathlete practice swims and some scuba diving stuff.  

I think it was VERY helpful...thank you, Cassie.  We made a loop around half the lake (550 yds), then swam back and forth between the pier and one of the buoys.  I sorta lost count, but I think we swam 850 yards total.  Cassie tried swimming close to me to simulate race conditions, but I was too worried about kicking her.  I guess I need to go practice with someone I DON'T like, and just kick away.  Any suggestions or volunteers?

It's crazy how much harder open water swimming is.  The next day I did laps at the SHSU pool while the kids played.  I went 120 laps without stopping.  That's 3,000 yards, and seriously, I could have kept going.  I only stopped because I had to tend to my wifely duties, and go cook dinner.  Ugh.  

Today I picked up my packet for the Tejas Tri....I hope this one goes much smoother.  I'm kinda going this one alone.  I had lots of peeps there last time, but the only people I know who will be at Tejas are Jeremy and Evan. (both competing)  No crowd support or female consolation.  Yikes.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Good luck this weekend! I will be thinking about you on Sunday morning. :)

K said...

You are going to ROCK!

WalkSports.com said...

Now, Katy, if I were there this week, you know I'd be saying, now that you're not a rookie anymore, "Alright, Lampson, stay away from the buoys, will ya?!"

I'll be running a double out-and-back half marathon in Temple while your swimming in the cool water and biking in the cool breeze ... get the picture!

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Where the heck is Manvel!? Good luck-you're gonna be awesome!

Evan Guy said...

Piece of CAKE! You're way more than ready...go out there and HAVE FUN!! That's what tri's are all about...HECK YEAH!

WalkSports.com said...

Manvel is close to Alvin.